10 August 2009

huckleberry apricot breakfast crisp: score one for mama

This one's adapted from Deb at Smitten Kitchen, of which I've tried a few recipes and have never been disappointed. I substituted huckleberries for half the apricots in this recipe because 1) I had them and needed to use them up and 2) I figured they'd make the crisp less "crazy tart" than Deb's version. I am thankful the camera was out of commission, since my version was not nearly as pretty as Deb's (her photos are spectacular and I shall never hope to top them). But my hunch about the huckleberries sweetening the crisp up, and saving it from any chance, no matter how small, of botching on my part, was right on. It was delish. Both days I ate it.

Huckleberry Apricot Breakfast Crisp

Fruit Base
1/2 pound huckleberries (about 2 cups), rinsed and shaken dry (blueberries would be a decent, if subpar, substitute)
1/2 pound apricots
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon flour
Grated fresh nutmeg, a pinch

Crisp Topping
1/2 stick butter, melted
6 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (or a mixture of whole wheat and all-purpose flour)
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons toasted, slivered almonds

Prepare fruit: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pull apart apricots at their seam, remove pits, and tear them one more time into quarters, placing them in a small baking dish (one that holds two to three cups is ideal). Stir in huckleberries, sugar, flour and nutmeg until just combined, being careful not to squash the berries.

Crumb topping: Melt butter and stir in sugar, then oats, then flour, salt and almonds until large clumps form. Sprinkle mixture over the fruit. Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes and serve warm with a scoop (about 1/3 cup) of Greek yoghurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum